Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Eight is Great

Jack's eighth birthday is approaching in a few weeks. It's a milestone birthday--the baptism birthday. and it's something Jeff and I have been discussing much of late. This week I had a lovely conversation with our bishop about this topic and we decided what Jeff and I have known for a very long time:  Jack doesn't need to be baptized.

At least, not now.  Maybe someday, years from now, he will have progressed to a point where it makes sense. but right now he is pure and innocent and unaccountable. And I am really peaceful acknowledging this.

As we discussed Jack's development and level of comprehension, I explained to the bishop that if I were to ask Jack if he believed in God and in Jesus Christ, he wouldn't be able to answer. The bishop then asked me if I believe that Jack has a testimony of the Savior and of Heavenly Father. This was the point at which I completely lost it.

When I composed myself enough to speak, I told Bishop that I have always felt that Jack is very closely acquainted with them both. I am quite certain that he feels their love for him. I've had, over the years, a handful of acutely spiritual experiences which informed that this is indeed the case.

One thing I've known about him since before he was born: Jack is valiant. There are other things I have learned since that time. He is brave and sweet and gentle. He is loving and happy and silly. He is special and he makes our whole family special. It's goodness by association for the rest of us.

Instead of a baptism party, I think we may head to the farm for a celebratory tractor-pulled wagon-ride (a gauranteed Jack-pleaser) and quite possibly some individually wrapped Hostess cupcakes, complete with delightfully crinkly packaging (ditto).

Yep, eight is looking really, really great.

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Megan. Jack is such a sweet boy and you are such an incredible mother. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved, loved. loved this post! So tender. Happy Birthday sweet Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow has Jack grown! Thanks for sharing your sweet thoughts about this special boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that choked me up. sweet jack is such a blessing in our family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count us in at that party. We are lucky to have Jack as our nephew/cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post. Love the how the spirit can so powerfully testify. Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. eight is great! we are so blessed to have jack in our lives for eight great years- he has blessed us and forever changed our perspective(s). we have learned so much from sweet jack.
    lots of love from me, mia, gma joyce, & gpa peter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan, you make the world a better place. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love you. And boy, I wish we were still in the same ward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jack makes my heart happy. I loved having him in nursery and his spirit definitely shines. He radiates the pure love of Christ and he is a strong, brave, and pure soul.

    ReplyDelete